Monday, February 13, 2012

Here goes nothing...

I don't know if it's because we are on the "downward slope" from 25 to 30 (sounds silly, I know- but we all have our "things"), or if those of us who haven't gotten pregnant yet are trying to find a topic of conversation besides BABY BABY BABY and what sweets we've overeaten that week - but lately I find myself being asked - what would I do if I didn't do what I do? I don't love my job, but I enjoy that I get to work with my family every day. So the question sticks with me. What would I do? I graduated 8 years ago with a degree in English - excited to start the journey towards becoming a teacher. Teaching was the only thing I had ever thought of doing - most girls I knew were going to be teachers, my family was full of them. I took the CBEST quickly and passed - now I could substitute teach. I filled out an application... and that's where it stopped. I realized I didn't want to do that, and after having every kind of teacher possible - I truly believe that teachers need to love their job, and be passionate about it - otherwise they aren't effective. I lucked out - there was a job opening with my family business, and I jumped on it. An increase in pay, full time, and a boss who will let me take a day off if I so choose. (Sick days don't exist here, but that's a story in itself).


Eight years later, here I am. And what would I do if I were forced to choose something else - or if I got the chance to do something else. My friend Monica asked me this during a girls night filled with red wine flights and fried appetizers that were immediately regretted. I shrugged and said, well - the logical step would be to write a blog. I have an English degree after all, and it would give me a place to write about my love of working out. Facebook users don't always appreciate my daily workout posts - but I've chosen to keep it up. If I motivate one person to exercise that day - then every post I make is worth it. After I gave my answer to what I thought was a silly, alcohol induced chat - Monica was... enthusiastic. She and Raechel (another friend with whom I share my fitness and lifestyle experiences) thought it was a great idea - and Monica promised to pressure me into following through. I protested - we all know there are tons of fitness blogs, healthy eating blogs. In return they tell me - yes, but they seem to be for the mom with nine kids, or the woman who can't get to the gym- they just rarely seem to be geared towards women like us. We have gym passes, some of us are married, or in relationships, we have full time jobs, and are just trying to manage enjoying our youth combined with maintaining a healthy lifestyle.


So where's a blog for girls like that? Like myself and my friends? Well. Here goes. I've never believed I was creative enough to write anything - and I might be right. But like I've always said about my Facebook updates - if I motivate one person to exercise today - then this will be worth it.


I plan on posting my workouts, maybe including a photo every now and then. I'll post what I'm eating - or trying to eat. I'm in the best shape of my life, that's true, but it's definitely not without a few struggles. I love a good cupcake or cookie every now and then. To the one person who reads this - or the many - I hope you find something you like here - at the very least, you might find a good recipe or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment